Applications due Feb. 8, 2019.
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation (INHF) is one of the leading statewide, private, nonprofit conservation organizations in Iowa. The Blufflands region of northeast Iowa has long been a priority area for INHF due to the abundant and diverse natural resources. INHF manages several properties in this beautiful corner of Iowa. To help accomplish INHF's mission of protection and restoration, INHF is seeking a passionate, well-organized self-starter for a part-time position.
The Blufflands Field Assistant works directly with INHF's blufflands associate and blufflands director to carry out and further develop INHF's protection and stewardship activities in northeastern Iowa. Work will primarily occur on INHF-owned land and private land protected by INHF in a seven county area. The Blufflands program's operational base is located in Decorah, Iowa.
- Assist with all aspects of natural area stewardship on remnant and reconstructed prairie, oak savanna, woodlands and streams, including prescribed fire, invasive species control, thinning and seed collection.
- Maintain and repair tools and equipment.
- Complete annual site inspections and reporting on INHF-owned properties.
Required Education and Skills
- B.A. degree in natural resource management, animal ecology, wildlife biology, botany, forestry, environmental sciences or a related field
- Knowledge and field experience with natural area restoration and management
- Experience in the identification of Iowa and Blufflands native and non-native flora and fauna
- Experience operating and maintaining power equipment including chainsaws, brush cutters and ATVs
- Experience using heribicide and application equipment
- Experience with prescribed fire (S130/S190 certification preferred)
- Ability to work long hours in adverse weather conditions and difficult terrain
- Well-developed interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work with a broad range of people with different skill sets, backgrounds and personalities
- General understanding of agricultural practices and issues
- Ability to budget time and resources among multiple demands
In addition to the above list of required education and skills, the Blufflands Field Assistant must have a valid driver's license and personal vehicle that can be used for work activities (INHF compensates for mileage). The Blufflands Field Assistant must also have the ability and flexibility to travel throughout northeast Iowa on short notice. Travel to other locations in the state, including INHF's main office in Des Moines, may be necessary, but less common. Overnight stays will occasionally be necessary.
The Blufflands Field Assistant participates in other INHF projects and programs as directed by the president, blufflands associate or blufflands director, and always represents INHF in a positive, courteous and professional manner.
Compensation and work dates
- Start Date – March 11, 2019
- End Date – November 29, 2019
- Approximately 24-30 hours/week
- Total yearly hours not to exceed 1,040
- Not eligible for benefits
- Mileage paid for work related travel
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing or service in the military.
How to apply
The application deadline is Friday, February 8, 2019.
The application should include the following items:
- Cover letter explaining how your skill set and experience fits the position and how you would make a valuable addition to INHF.
- List of three references with contact information included
Send your completed application either electronically (PDF or Word format) or by mail to:
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation
1111 South Paine Street
Decorah, IA 52101