Be a part of a small communications team working to help Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation protect and restore Iowa’s land, water and wildlife. INHF communications interns gain valuable experience in print and digital media platforms, work within an established brand and represent that brand to familiar and new audiences.
The communications intern will assist in content creation for and management of INHF social media accounts, update the INHF website and assist with editorial content creation for INHF’s magazine and blog. Depending on organizational needs and intern skills, the communications intern may also assist with public events, photography/videography and graphic design projects.
Strong writing and organizational skills are required. Applicants should also have taken some key writing classes (like news reporting and/or magazine feature writing) and have writing experience at a college publication and/or previous internship.
We’re looking for students who are:
- Interested in the outdoors
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible, organized and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable collaborating with a team
- Creative and looking to bring ideas for content and projects to the table
- Excited to learn and write about topics with which they may not be familiar
- Interested in social media and social media strategy
Interns working during the school year typically work 12-20 hours/week, depending on their class schedule. Most work will be done remotely, but there will be opportunities to join in-person events if the intern lives in Iowa. Interns must provide their own transportation to and from work, if needed. Pay is $11/hr.
To apply for the internship, please email Communications Assistant Genna Clemen (email@example.com) the following:
- A one-page cover letter
- 5-6 work samples (published material is ideal, but classroom work is also accepted)
- A copy (official or unofficial) of your transcripts
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or professional in your major/area of interest. The letter may be included in your application or sent separately by the writer. Include reference contact information.
Feel free to call or email in advance if you have any questions.
Genna Clemen, Communications Assistant
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation
505 Fifth Ave., Ste. 444
Des Moines, IA 50309-2321
Deadline: September 11