Be part of a small communications team working to help Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation protect and restore Iowa’s land, water and wildlife. INHF communications interns gain valuable experience in print and digital media platforms, work within an established brand and help reach new and established audiences through this paid internship experience.
Communications interns will have the opportunity to learn about and work in all aspects of INHF communications. Projects may include assisting with content creation for and management of INHF social media accounts, blog, website, magazine, event communications and special seasonal projects. Depending on organizational needs and intern skills, communications interns may also assist with public events, photography/videography and graphic design projects.
This position is open to all majors and skillsets. The most successful applicants will have strong writing and organizational skills. Ideal candidates will have taken some key writing classes (like news reporting and/or magazine feature writing) and have experience writing at a college publication and/or in a previous internship. This internship is open to undergraduate students who live in or are attending a college or university in Iowa.
We’re looking for students who are:
- Interested in the outdoors
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible, organized and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable collaborating with a team
- Creative and looking to bring ideas for content and projects to the table
- Excited to learn and write about topics with which they may not be familiar
- Interested in social media and social media strategy
The internship begins May 23 and has a flexible end date in August. There may be an opportunity to extend the internship into the Fall semester. Summer interns typically work 32 hours/week, Monday-Thursday. Most work will be done in the INHF office, but there will be opportunities to work remotely, assist at outreach events and visit project sites in the field.
Interns must provide their own transportation to and from work, if needed. INHF encourages interns to take advantage of active and mass transit options while in the Des Moines metro area (DART system, biking and carpooling).
This is a paid position at a rate of $15/hour.
Please email Communications Specialist Erica Place the following:
- A one-page cover letter
- A resume
- Relevant work samples (published material is ideal, but classroom work is also accepted)
- A copy (official or unofficial) of your transcripts
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or professional in your area of interest is a plus, but is not required. The letter may be included in your application or sent separately by the writer.
Feel free to call or email in advance if you have any questions.
Erica Place, Communications Specialist
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation
505 Fifth Ave., Ste. 444
Des Moines, IA 50309-2321
Phone: 515-288-1846, ext. 26
The deadline for the Summer 2022 internship is Wednesday, April 20.