INHF design interns gain real-world experience designing professional-quality publications. The design intern works across departments to create print and digital collateral, display and marketing materials, and complete special projects. Design interns gain experience working within an established brand and representing that brand to in-person and digital audiences.
Design interns work on INHF’s quarterly magazine, annual calendar, outreach materials, project mailings, event collateral, web and social media graphics among other projects. Depending on skills and interest, other marketing, video and/or photography work may be included.
This position usually goes to graphic design majors, journalism majors specializing in visual design or students with strong design/web experience and coursework. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software is required. Web, photography and video experience is preferred, but not required. All programs and equipment (with the exception of a personal computer if working remotely) provided by INHF.
We’re looking for students who are:
- Interested in the outdoors, land protection and/or stewardship
- Attentive to detail
- Creative, with a passion for visual design
- Enjoy seeking out and learning about new techniques and trends
- Flexible, organized and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable collaborating with a team
This internship is open to undergraduate students who live in or are attending a college, university or technical program in Iowa.
Interns working during the school year typically work 12-15 hours/week. Summer interns must be available to work 35-40 hours/week. Preference is given to applicants who can stay more than one semester, but one-semester applicants are also considered. Pay is $15/hr.
COVID-19 protocols are still in place at INHF. Graphic design interns may work remotely (i.e. from school or home) or in our downtown Des Moines office. Interns must provide their own transportation to and from work, if needed. INHF encourages interns to take advantage of active and mass transit options while in the Des Moines metro area (DART system, biking and carpooling).
To apply for the internship, please email Joe Jayjack (he/him) the following:
- A one-page cover letter
- 5-6 samples of your work (published/professional examples are ideal, but classroom work is also accepted)*
- A copy (official or unofficial) of your transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from a professor or professional in your major/area of interest. The letter may be included in your application or sent separately by the author. Please include reference contact information.
*Applicants are encouraged to send graphic design samples or links to their online work. However, we realize some graphic design projects can’t be duplicated or are too bulky to send. We assume that you will bring your portfolio if invited to interview.
Feel free to call or email in advance if you have any questions.
Joe Jayjack, Communications Director
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation
505 Fifth Ave., Ste. 444
Des Moines, IA 50309-2321
Phone: 515-288-1846, ext. 19
Deadline: The deadline for the spring 2022 internship has passed.