Get outdoors and help restore some of Des Moines' most popular outdoor areas while also helping animals at Blank Park Zoo!
Together, volunteers will help restore land for native plants by removing invasive species in the greater Des Moines area. After the event, organizers will take the plants to Blank Park Zoo where they will be "upcycled" into food for the zoo animals.
An RSVP is required. Space is limited.
About UpCycle Stewards
UpCycle Stewards is a joint effort between Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, Blank Park Zoo, City of Des Moines, Confluence Brewing and Trees Forever. Events are held the third Thursday of each month June through September from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. at Gray's Lake. Volunteers (21+) are invited to enjoy a complimentary beverage from Confluence Brewing Company after the event.
What to bring:
- Please feel free to bring your own tools, work gloves, face mask, hand sanitizer, etc. if you'd like; but we will provide all tools, work gloves, and PPE (including disposable face masks, hand sanitizer, and disinfectant) if you do need them.
- You will be asked to wear a face mask when receiving instructions, but you do not need to wear a mask while working since there is plenty of room to spread out. Volunteers will be asked to do their best to stay 6 feet from staff and other volunteers when possible.
- We recommend wearing long pants and closed-toe shoes, and please bring your own reusable water bottle.
- Please bring your own water bottle. A water cooler will be available.
- No experience necessary
- Families welcome
- You will be asked to sign a liability waiver
- Restrooms on site
Gray’s lake: Entrance will be north of Thomas Beck Road just east of Confluence. Please look for signage. Follow the gravel road west, past the blue maintenance shed and directly behind the Gray’s Lake concession stand or until you see the City of Des Moines Parks and Recreation trailer.
> GOOGLE MAP
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com