National Public Lands Day is the nation's largest single-day volunteer event for public lands. This celebration welcomes thousands of volunteers to help restore and improve public lands around the country. The theme for 2021 is “More Ways to Connect to Nature." We invite you to join Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, Polk County Conservation, and Polk Soil and Water Conservation District staff in park beautification projects before we gather for a late afternoon of fun, food, beverages, and the opportunity to enjoy the paddle board, kayak, and canoe recreational amenities provided by Easter Lake Boat Rental.
Registration for this event is now closed.
Event Partners: Easter Lake Boat Rental, Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, Polk Soil and Water Conservation District, Polk County Conservation, The Cellar at White Oak Winery
Volunteer Projects: 1-4 p.m.
- Trail resurfacing
- Native seed harvest
- Garden maintenance
- Shoreline and park cleanup (litter removal)
Food/wine: 5-6 p.m.
- Complimentary food and wine provided by The Cellar at White Oak to volunteers
Recreation: 5-7 p.m.
- Free kayak, canoe, and paddle board rentals for volunteers until 7 p.m.
- A water bottle
- Clothes you don't mind getting beat up, work gloves and sturdy shoes
- Sun protection
- All other equipment provided
- No experience necessary
- Children and families welcome
- You will be asked to sign a liability waiver
Volunteers will meet at the Easter Lake beach/boat rental on the North side of the Lake. Use the north entrance of the park located on E. Watrous Ave. From Indianola Ave., turn on to Evergreen Ave., which turns into E. Watrous Ave. Once you enter the park, follow the event signage to the beach parking lot. See Easter Lake map here.
View on Google Maps
Contact Volunteer Coordinator Melanie Schmidt at email@example.com or 515-288-1846, ext. 35.