Join Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation and Polk County Conservation for the 6th annual Moonlight Seed Harvest at Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt!
Volunteers will hand harvest native prairie seed under the full moon. Seed collected will be used to diversify the prairie at Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt, a 9,000+ acre nature preserve north of Des Moines.
An RSVP is required. Space is limited. RSVP to Michael.French@polkcountyiowa.gov
Please include your name, preferred email address and the number of people you are registering.
Please note: we will be working in the dark and walking on uneven terrain. Dress for the weather, wear sturdy shoes, long pants and bring a headlamp or flashlight – if you have one.
ABOUT CHICHAQUA BOTTOMS GREENBELT
Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt encompasses 9,000+ acres of reconstructed and remnant prairie, oxbows, marshes and wetlands along the Skunk River in Polk and Jasper Counties. It is home to a diverse mix of plants, wildlife and an abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities. Since 1993, INHF has helped the Polk County Conservation Board (PCCB) and Iowa Department of Natural (DNR) expand Chichaqua Bottoms, adding nearly 5,000 acres. The property is now managed by the PCCB in Polk County, and the DNR in Jasper County.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS & EXPECTATIONS
INHF is implementing a few new changes to fall events to help ensure everyone stays safe and healthy.
- While we are not requiring volunteers to wear masks, we do ask that volunteers respect each other’s space and stay at least 6 feet apart from one another. When it is not possible to do so, we ask that volunteers wear a mask until they can safely distance themselves from others.
- We will be providing all the necessary equipment, but are asking each volunteer to bring along their own work gloves, mask and water bottle. Hand sanitizer will be available at the work day and all equipment will be wiped down prior and after use by INHF staff.
- Attendance at events will be limited. Capacity will vary depending on event locations.
Thank you for helping us ensure we can all safely enjoy being on the land. Please email Volunteer Coordinator Melanie Schmidt at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
ATTIRE & EQUIPMENT
- Sturdy shoes or hiking boots, long pants and layers
- Headlamps and flashlights, if you have them
- Insect repellant, mask and water bottle
- No experience necessary
- Families welcome
- You will be asked to sign a liability form
Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt is located half an hour north of Des Moines near Elkhart and Bondurant. Exact location TBA prior to the event.
Contact Melanie Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation is committed to an equitable opportunity for volunteers to gather, in which we strive toward an environment that is both safe and welcoming for all. INHF continues to work toward creating a more inclusive environment that encourages, supports and affirms the diverse backgrounds of our volunteers. Attendees whose words, actions or behaviors make other attendees feel unsafe or unwelcome at INHF volunteer events will be asked to leave.