Do you love the outdoors and and have a passion for design? The Communications Assistant position at Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation offers the opportunity to work in a highly collaborative environment to help advance the mission of INHF: to protect and restore Iowa's land, water and wildlife.
This person has responsibility for design of INHF publications and management of INHF's website and email communications. We rely on this position to suggest ways to make our communications efforts more effective and to participate in shaping the annual workplan and budget. This person must be organized, professional, efficient and able to work well in a team setting. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and print design are essential and technical aptitude is important. Experience in website management and photo/video production is a plus.
This full-time, exempt position typically involves 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, with occasional travel and weekend commitments to meet partners or the public on the land or at conference/event settings. Some lifting of event materials is expected. This position reports to the Communications Director.
Duties & Responsibilities
Design & production (35%)
- Designs print edition of Iowa Natural Heritage quarterly magazine in coordination with Communications Director and Communications Specialist.
- Responsible for production of the INHF calendar in coordination with Design Intern. Includes managing budget, timeliness, workplan, intern work and distribution.
- Designs project appeals and fundraising materials in coordination with INHF Development Team.
- Develops content/design for special INHF projects.
Website and email management (30%)
- Responsible for management of and regular additions to websites (INHF and Iowa Landowners Options) and blogs on those websites. Content for websites and blog is created in coordination with other INHF staff.
- Responsible for design and content in outreach emails, including INHF’s monthly e-newsletter, advocacy alerts, event invitations and project fundraising in coordination with Communications, Volunteer and Development staff.
- Collaborates with Communications Specialist on timing of website and email content that coordinates with social media content.
Video/photo and graphics production (15%)
Merchandise design & management (10%)
- Oversees design and production of INHF merchandise for special events and day-to-day sales.
- Secure bids, choose vendors, place orders and approve payment for merchandise.
- Track inventory and fulfill orders.
Team support, administration & professional development (10%)
- Includes assistance in planning for and staffing outreach events.
- Opportunities for professional development in design, conservation and nonprofit communications.
Proficient in design, Adobe Creative Suite applications and Microsoft Office applications. Strong design skills, on-line analytics aptitude, interpersonal skills and organizational ability.
Education & experience
Bachelor's degree in related field is preferred.
Salary and Benefits Summary
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation values our team members and takes pride in providing competitive compensation for the field, generous medical and dental benefits, ample vacation and sick leave accrual, retirement matching, and opportunities for professional and personal growth. The salary range for this position is $41,500-$56,000.
Physical requirements include sitting and/or standing at a desk for the majority of the workday and some light lifting of event materials. Must be able to work in an office environment with low to moderate noise levels. Must provide own transportation to and from work.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and relevant work samples to Kari Walker, human resources director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. References may be requested for applicants that advance in the hiring process. Applications are due no later than Wednesday, April 20.