You're invited to Breen Prairie Farm for a fall prairie seed harvest!
Spend an autumn afternoon learning about the land, exploring the prairie and hand harvesting native seed to distribute to other parts of the property to increase biodiversity. Stay after the harvest to hike around the prairie.
An RSVP is required. Space is limited. RSVP
ABOUT BREEN PRAIRIE FARM
Breen Prairie Farm encompasses 140 acres of native dry, rocky prairie, woodland and working lands. Helen Reichardt donated the farm to Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation in 1989 to permanently protect and preserve the land’s natural beauty and wildlife habitat. It is now stewarded by Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS & EXPECTATIONS
INHF is implementing a few new changes to fall events to help ensure everyone stays safe and healthy.
- We are asking EVERY volunteer to complete a liability form prior to attending any events. Completed forms may be sent to Volunteer Coordinator Melanie Schmidt at email@example.com prior to the event. Please include the name of the event you plan to attend in the subject line. Forms will also be available on site the day of the event, though we encourage you to complete it in advance to help limit close interaction.
- While we are not requiring volunteers to wear masks, we do ask that volunteers respect each other’s space and stay at least 6 feet apart from one another. When it is not possible to do so, we ask that volunteers wear a mask until they can safely distance themselves from others.
- We will be providing all the necessary equipment, but are asking each volunteer to bring along their own work gloves, mask and water bottle. Hand sanitizer will be available at the work day and all equipment will be wiped down prior and after use by INHF staff.
- Attendance at events will be limited. Capacity will vary depending on event locations.
Thank you for helping us ensure we can all safely enjoy being on the land. Please email Volunteer Coordinator Melanie Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
ATTIRE & EQUIPMENT
- Sturdy shoes or hiking boots, long pants and layers
- Insect repellant, mask and water bottle
- A hiking stick, binoculars, field guide and/or camera, if you like
- No experience necessary
- Families welcome
- You will be asked to sign a liability waiver
Breen Prairie Farm is located approximately 3 miles north of Monticello on Hwy 38 in Jones County.
From Monticello, drive north on IA-38 out of town about 3 miles. The property is located less than a quarter mile past Rock Road, on the east side of the road. A wooden sign is visible. Look for INHF event signage and staff.
Volunteers should park along the highway just past the entrance to the field on the property.
Contact Melanie Schmidt at email@example.com
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation is committed to an equitable opportunity for volunteers to gather, in which we strive toward an environment that is both safe and welcoming for all. INHF continues to work toward creating a more inclusive environment that encourages, supports and affirms the diverse backgrounds of our volunteers. Attendees whose words, actions or behaviors make other attendees feel unsafe or unwelcome at INHF volunteer events will be asked to leave.