Get outdoors with us one last time this winter. Volunteers will remove brush and non-native plants to help restore the native species in the prairie and oak savanna at Snyder Heritage Farm. People are welcome to stay and explore after the event.
Invasive brush removal involves using various hand tools (handsaws or loppers) to manually cut invasive brush. Participants may work alongside or with an experienced chain sawyer. No experience necessary. Instruction will be provided. New and seasoned volunteers welcome.
An RSVP is required. Space is limited (this event will be capped at 25 attendees). Please arrive early to park and check-in.
ABOUT SNYDER HERITAGE FARM
For nearly 30 years, Snyder Heritage Farm has been slowly transitioning from a traditional farm to a beautiful blend of prairie, oak savanna, woodland and wetland ecosystems. It is now a 154-acre natural area just north of the Des Moines metro. Snyder Heritage Farm was donated to INHF by Al and Gladys Snyder, a couple who held a deep love for the land and wished to preserve the integrity of their farm and protect it from urban sprawl. It is now owned and stewarded by INHF.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS & EXPECTATIONS
INHF has implemented additional safety precautions and expectations to help ensure everyone stays safe and healthy.
- We are asking EVERY volunteer to complete a COVID Liability Form and Volunteer Liability Waiver prior to attending any events. Completed forms may be sent to Volunteer Coordinator Melanie Schmidt at email@example.com prior to the event. Please include the name of the event you plan to attend in the subject line. Forms will also be available on site the day of the event, though we encourage you to complete it in advance to help limit close interaction.
- Event attendees are asked/expected to wear a mask during the initial check in and introduction. Attendees who are comfortable wearing a mask during the work portion of the event are encouraged to do so but may remove them if they are able to appropriately distance themselves from other attendees.
- We will be providing all the necessary equipment, but are asking each volunteer to bring along their own work gloves, mask and water bottle. Hand sanitizer will be available at the work day and all equipment will be wiped down prior and after use by INHF staff.
- Attendance at events will be limited. Capacity will vary depending on event locations.
Thank you for helping us ensure we can all safely enjoy being on the land. Please email Volunteer Coordinator Melanie Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
ATTIRE & EQUIPMENT
- Sturdy shoes or hiking boots, long pants and layers
- Mask, work gloves and water bottle
- A hiking stick, binoculars, field guide and/or camera, if you like
Snyder Heritage Farm
11700 NE 64th St.
> View Google Map
Contact Volunteer Coordinator Melanie Schmidt at email@example.com
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation is committed to an equitable opportunity for volunteers to gather, in which we strive toward an environment that is both safe and welcoming for all. INHF continues to work toward creating a more inclusive environment that encourages, supports and affirms the diverse backgrounds of our volunteers. Attendees whose words, actions or behaviors make other attendees feel unsafe or unwelcome at INHF volunteer events will be asked to leave.