DIY: Reusable T-shirt totes
Now you can help save the environment and look stylish while doing your grocery shopping with this easy do-it-yourself T-shirt tote bag.
What you’ll need:
- An old T-shirt – the bigger the shirt, the bigger your grocery bag
- A safety pin
- Lay the T-shirt flat and cut off both sleeves. Cut each sleeve into two, one-inch wide pieces. Snip the loops to create fabric strips and stretch slightly.
- Cut a large circle out of the neckline of your T-shirt. Tip: Use a plate or bowl as a guide so your edges are even.
- Along the bottom hem of the T-shirt cut eight, evenly spaced vertical slits (one on each side and three across the front and back of the shirt respectively.
- Attach the safety pin to the end of one of the strands created from the T-shirt’s sleeves. Beginning on the left side of the shirt thread the string into the front-left slit along the bottom hem. Continue through the side and back-left slits, creating a looped, closed edge. Repeat on right side of the T-shirt.
- Thread a string through the front-center slit, then through the slit directly to the left, followed by the loop created on the left side of the t-shirt and back through the back-left and back-center slits. Repeat on the right side of the T-shirt.
- Pull each section until tight and double knot strings.
Original tutorial found here.