Trail Tuesday: Raccoon River Valley Trail
By Taylor on September 23, 2014 in Blog
Every Tuesday, look for a new featured trail story on our blog – part of our new “Trail Tuesday” series. This will be a way for you to learn about all the different trails we have to offer on our Iowa By Trail app. If you like what you read you can download the app and go explore! For any questions on these trails, email email@example.com.
This week’s highlighted trail is Raccoon River Valley Trail.
This extensive trail runs for 89 miles through 15 towns and four counties (Greene, Dallas, Guthrie, Polk) and is popular for its 70 mile loop. It has an asphalt and concrete surface, and it connects to the Clive Greenbelt Trail. It is open year around from 6:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Fees: $2.00/day or $10.00/year for ages 18 and up; trail passes are available at county conservation boards or trailheads.
Fast Five (points of interests):
- Forest Park Museum and Arboretum – A diverse site that is also the headquarters for the Dallas County Conservation Board. Forest Park Museum presents the history of Dallas County, while the restored prairie and arboretum feature over 100 primarily native species. The Alton School House, which is the last one-room school house of Dallas County, the 1860 Grabenhorst Log Cabin and the Bill Wagner Scale House are also part of the Forest Park Museum complex.
- Guthrie County Historical Village – The historic complex includes the 1851 log house, one-room school, 1913 church, implement exhibit hall, newspaper office, antique exhibit hall, law office and original Panora Depot with Milwaukee caboose, all showing life and culture from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Bett and Bev’s BBQ – Enjoy a taste of local BBQ.
- The Longest Yard Sports Grill – Sports bar serving burgers and beer, perfect for watching the Hawks play. Home of the famous Yard Beer.
- Timberpine Lodge B&B – Unique timber-frame home on six acres, with abundant birds, wildlife, flower gardens and a waterfall. Relax on the front porch swing or in the screened porch.