Test the waters in all aspects of communications — magazine writing, press releases, photography, content marketing, social media, websites, blogs and more. INHF communications interns gain valuable experience and professional clips in print and digital media platforms. Learn to represent the INHF brand to familiar and new audiences.
The communications intern writes press releases and magazine articles about INHF projects, coordinates and assists with special events, manages a robust blog, updates INHF websites and creates content for social media. Depending on organizational needs and intern skills, the communications intern may also assist with public events, photography and graphic design projects.
This position usually goes to journalism majors (News, Magazines, Marketing, PR, etc.). Strong writing and organizational skills are required. Applicants should also have taken some key writing classes (like news reporting and/or magazine feature writing) and have writing experience at a college publication and/or previous internship.
We’re looking for students who are:
- Interested in the outdoors and Iowa's wild spaces
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible, organized and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable collaborating with a team
- Creative and looking to bring ideas for stories and projects to the table
- Excited to learn and write about topics with which they may not be familiar
Interns working during the school year typically work 12-15 hours/week. Summer interns must be able to work 35-40 hours/week. Preference is given to applicants who can stay more than one semester, but one-semester applicants are also considered. Pay is $10/hr.
Communications interns work in our downtown Des Moines office and must provide their own transportation to and from work. INHF encourages interns to discover active and mass transit options while in the Des Moines metro area (DART system, biking and carpooling).
To apply for the internship, please email Kerri Sorrell (email@example.com) the following:
- A one-page cover letter
- 4-6 writing samples (published clips are ideal, but classroom work is also accepted)
- A copy (official or unofficial) of your transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from a professor or professional in your major/area of interest. The letter may be included in your application or sent separately by the writer. Include reference contact information.
Feel free to call or email in advance if you have any questions.
Kerri Sorrell, Communications Specialist
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation
505 Fifth Avenue, Suite 444
Des Moines, IA 50309-2321
Phone: 515-288-1846, ext. 24