Gain real-world experience by designing professional-quality publications.
INHF design interns are a vital part of INHF’s outreach strategy. Interns work with every department to create display and handout materials, and complete special projects. Design interns gain experience working within an established brand and representing that brand to in-person and digital audiences.
Design interns work on INHF’s yearly nature calendar, INHF’s quarterly magazine, outreach brochures and handouts, project mailings, event materials, web graphics and many more projects. Depending on skills and interest, other communications/PR work may be included.
This position usually goes to graphic design majors, journalism majors with visual design specialty or others with strong design/web experience and coursework. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software is required. Web, photography and video experience is preferred, but not required.
We’re looking for students who are:
- Attentive to detail
- Creative, with a passion for visual design
- Flexible, organized and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable working on a team
Interns working during the school year typically work 12-15 hours/week. Summer interns must be able to work 35-40 hours/week. Preference is given to applicants who can stay more than one semester, but one-semester applicants are also considered. Pay is $10/hr.
Graphic design interns work in our downtown Des Moines office and must provide their own transportation to and from work. INHF encourages interns to discover active and mass transit options while in the Des Moines metro area (DART system, biking and carpooling).
To apply for the internship, please email Kerri Sorrell the following:
- A one-page cover letter
- 10-12 samples of your work (published/professional examples are ideal, but classroom work is also accepted)*
- A copy (official or unoffical) of your transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from a professor or professional in your major/area of interest. The letter may be included in your application or sent separately by the writer. Include reference contact information.
*Applicants are encouraged to send graphic design samples or links to their online work. However, we realize some graphic design projects can’t be duplicated or are too bulky to send. We assume that you will also bring your portfolio to the interview.
Feel free to call or email in advance if you have any questions.
Kerri Sorrell, Communications Specialist
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation
505 Fifth Avenue, Suite 444
Des Moines, IA 50309-2321
Phone: 515-288-1846, ext. 24